Programmers Day, also known as “International Programmers Day”, is celebrated annually on the 256th day of the year, which falls on September 13 or September 12 in leap years. The day aims to honor all programmers around the world, for their contribution to making everyone’s life easier. The day is celebrated on the 256th day of the year, that is, the date represents an eight-bit byte where the decimal value 256 equals 2 to the power of eight. The value 2^8 is the highest value giving the decimal result as 256 less than the number of days in the year, where the binary value for decimal 256 is 100000000.
|Date||September 13, 2022|
|Importance||Honors programmers and software developers worldwide|
Programmer’s Day 2022: History
It is literally unimaginable to witness human progress in technology since the creation of the first programming language in 1883, when Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage collaborated on the Analytical Engine, an early mechanical computer. Today we have almost 9000 different programming languages. Let’s dive into the history of the creation of the day of programmers.
In 2002, Russian programmers Valentin Balt and Michael Cherviakov of Parallel Technologies organized a group of supporters and urged the Russian government to observe a national day honoring all programmers. Russia’s Ministry of Media and Communications finally recognized and accepted the programmers’ request in 2009, when President Dmitry Medvedev signed a bill honoring computer programmers on September 11, 2009, and the country now celebrates Programmers’ Day as A national holiday.
A similar national holiday dedicated to programmers is also celebrated in China on October 24, since today’s date can be written as 1024 in the month and date format which is equal to 2 to the power of 10 and corresponds to the binary prefix Ki.
Programmer’s Day 2022: Meaning
Basically, a computer programmer uses computer languages to create various software. From simple software to web design and complex programs such as game creation, the use of programming is widespread in today’s world.
Thus, the day is celebrated to honor programmers all over the world as the role of programmers in today’s generation is vital as we are so dependent on them for everything from entertainment to the smooth running of our daily lives. Thus, commemorating a day to recognize their efforts becomes more cross-functional.
As web traffic is expected to increase significantly over the coming year, you can expect a 15% increase in web development jobs by 2026. Therefore, setting your goals as a software developer or programmers is a great way to observe the programmers day.
Programmer’s Day 2022: Activities
You can celebrate the day in different ways, with some of the activities and ways to observe the day listed below.
1. Send your greetings in binary for Programmer’s Day: What better way to celebrate the day than to wish the software engineer in the language he understands best? Send the wishes in binary code like this: 01001000 01100001 01110000 01110000 01111001 00100000 01010000 01110010 0111111111111111111110011001100110011111111111111110000 010001001001001100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100
3. Recognize the efforts of programmers: It is impossible to imagine a world without programmers or any programming language, just as it is impossible to imagine a world without all the technologies you use today, such as cell phones, the latest televisions and many others electric gadgets.
Programmer’s Day 2022: Facts
Here we have listed some fascinating facts about International Programmer Day.
- The first computer virus was created in 1986 in Pakistan by two brothers, Basit and Amjad Farooq Alvi, with the aim of preventing customers from copying the software they used to store in their computer store.
- Mr. John Backus, an American computer scientist, created the first programming language, FORTRAN, in 1964.
- The first computer bug was actually a real-life bug. When Grace Hopper, a US Navy admiral, was working on a Mark II computer in 1947, she discovered that a moth had become stuck in the relay and caused the device to malfunction. . She wrote a diary about the incident later.
Programmer’s Day 2022: FAQ
1. When is Programmer’s Day observed?
Programmers Day is observed on the 256th day of the year, which falls on September 13 or 14 in leap years.
2. What is the importance of the day of the programmers?
Programmers Day is celebrated every year with the aim of honoring all programmers around the world and recognizing their efforts to make people’s lives easier.
3. How can I participate in International Programmers Day?
You can simply participate in the mega event by spreading the word on social media and expressing your appreciation to the programmers.